Saturday, September 1, 2012

Auntie...Why You Listen to People You Don't Agree With?

Like most of you venturing over to For All Intents, I watched or listened to every single moment of the Republican National Convention (except of course, when the Williams sisters were playing in the Open). I chuckled with the slew of Hispanic and black speakers gracing the podium along with the sprinkling of diversity captured by the folks behind the cameras of CNN, MSNBC, and in FOX. I truly tried not to get angry when hearing what I personally perceive as lies, delusions of grandeur, and aggrandized deceptions. In general, or at least in my opinion, I was able to remain pretty steady until Ann Romney espoused Mitt's unwillingness to talk about his generosity via monetary contributions and charitable acts - although we heard quite a bit about it before taking that ceremonial walk to the podium to accept the nomination as if practicing for a State of the Union Address before Congress.

I was so irritated by Ann Romney's attempt to paint her husband as the "humble benefactor" that I took to  Facebook with the following status update:  
So, I'm watching the convention and just wondering if these folks live in the same world I do! UGH!!! So, Mitt doesn't brag. He can't cause he's too busy sharing his wealth with countries sheltering his wealth! Good Grief!!!
As expected, I received a slew of "likes", "amens", and "got that rights". But, what I didn't expect was a question/comment from one of my four brilliant, wonderful, and beautiful nieces. She very simply and eloquently stated:
Auntie, I can't help but to wonder why you would watch people sharing views you don't agree with.
Now, I explained why I'm put myself through this political masochism in an effort to stay informed and up on the issues and general discourse facing us in general, and in this election specifically. I believed that then and I believe that now. But! OMG! Last night my Niece's words shouted out at me as I watched Sean Hannity (H)! I know. I know. Masochism at its best - or worst depending your frame of reference.

During the first segment I caught,  H interviewed two African Americans. One woman and one man. Don't know their names or their claims to fame, except that the male (I think) is a civil rights attorney out of NYC (can you say oxymoron?). Of course, I pegged him as a Cornell West wannabe and could not get pass the fact that he - like Cornell need a comb. The woman, put me in the mind of Condolezza Rice in tone, mannerism, and dress. The focus of the segment centered around how the POTUS, his surrogates, and the media (except FOX, of course) are perpetuating a (the) racial divide between and among the American citizenry. It was ridiculous, but because I want to try to gain an understanding about differing political views, I suffered through the segment.

Commercial break....whew...I'm cool...really....

During the next segment, H had a panel-type discussion with that young man that generally wears a bow tie, a Republican strategist (woman), and one other person - of course all white. H's intent in this segment was to go after Joe Biden for his "I’m Joe Bidenopoulos" remark characterizing it as yet another Biden gaff with racial/ethnic implications. Thankfully, that didn't go too far, much to H's shagrin. Hmmm...must say Biden's remark just reminded me that on March 17 everybody's Irish.

Commercial break...whew...I'm good...but, next up Michelle Malkin (MM)...Lord Help Me!

Now for this segment, I knew I was going to have to brace myself. You see, MM was out promoting a white paper (no pun intended?) of sorts she's entitled, The Condensed Liberal Handbook of Racial Code Words. If you want to read it you'll have to find it on Google. I refuse to provide a link to to her rhetoric. The mention of her name is a real push! Anyway, it was pretty clear that H's cholesterol levels shot up 200 point with all the red meat he was devouring as plated up by MM.

Amid eyerolls and snickers, MM explained how words or phrases including "angry, golf, professor, Chicago, Obamacare, Food Stamp President, Constitution" and others are, according to the Liberal Left, are actually racist code words. With each snidely pronounced definition offered by MM and H sucking it all up, I found myself getting more and more irritated...more and more angry. I mean, really, who are they trying to convince? Or was this just another ploy by this ilk to tell their constituency to keep on doing what their doing? 

And then, I heard my Niece saying "Auntie, I can't help but to wonder why you would watch people sharing views you don't agree with."

So, I turned the channel catching the last part of the late great Bernie Mac's Kings of Comedy routine

Whew! Now define THAT MM!


For All Intents & Purposes, So Glad You Stopped By!

HeB




HeB is the owner of For All Intents & Purposes. As a SwAAW (Strong-willed African-American Woman), HeB reserves the right to speak her mind, voice her opinion, and just tell it like it is. A Baby-boomer - whose voice was shaped by the Last Poets, the Funkadelics, Malcolm, Martin, incense, and black-lights - HeB's voice is not dictated by her employer, professional,social, philanthropic, academic, educational or service or organization of which she is a member or affiliated.


5 comments:

  1. Well stated. And to think no peanuts thrown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, My, My, (In my best Johnny Gill voice!) I think I love your niece! You know as this election season speeds towards us I thought long and hard about the upcoming outcomes. I came to the fact that there are 2 possible outcomes... What will be and what wont be. And God controls them both. Last election season I was glued to the television watching the debated, the conventions, the talking heads, weeding through the lies, the subtle (and often NOT so subtle)racism, and other election time muck because it was a ground breaking election featuring our first African American with a chance of actually winning!
    But this time around I know the views on both parties, I know how I am going to vote and I know that again what will be will be, so I am not watching the political circus. It is not worth the frustrations and stress. And like your niece, I wonder why so many would watch people sharing views you don't agree with. So I'm not watching! Simple as that!
    By the way LOVE the new spot!
    Smooches,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Regina, while I'm still find myself with a front row seat at the political circus, I must admit it is with much less enthusiasm than in 2008. I think,perhaps, like you I know who I'm going to vote for and why. Although, the circumstances where quite different (ground breaking), I know that the consequences are far more reaching in 2012. I believe that most "folks" are truly just waiting for election day and will once again come out in droves - regardless of what the pundits say. But, you are exactly correct, the outcome is in God's hands and for whomever takes that oath of office in January 2013 is part of His plan.

    Yeah, my niece is pretty special! A deep thinker, self motivator, and on the rise in her own right. Really special...of course, I'm biased. LOL

    Glad you like the new spot...I kinda like it, too! "Much obliged" for stopping by :+)
    HeB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so to keep an eye on what my conservaenemy is thinking. But there are times when I can only take so much bull feces, lies and micro and macroaggressive racist insults and have to watch something else

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by. Your comments are welcomed and encouraged. I only ask that you, for all intents and purposes, be CIVIL!